The Library has many resources to assist you with your homework. Our print resources include information books, dictionaries, almanacs, encyclopedias, and fact based DVDs. Can’t make it to the Library? Try our online research tools.
Online research tools
Online Research Tools are a source of reliable and verified information online. You can read many of the articles on your computer without ever going to the Library. You will need your Library card number and PIN number (last four digits of your telephone number) to access the databases anywhere outside the Library.
- Access Science - Over 8,500 online encyclopedia articles and 15,000 illustrations from the McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science & Technology. (High School/Post-Secondary)
- Academic Search Elite - Scholarly journals covering every area of academic study. (High School/Post-Secondary)
- Credo Reference - A resource for checking facts, browsing topics, and finding definitions from authoritative encyclopedias and dictionaries. (High School/Post-Secondary)
- The Canadian Encyclopedia - Information on all Canadian topics. Includes the Canadian Encyclopedia, Youth Encyclopedia, Encyclopedia of Music in Canada, feature articles and Maclean’s magazine. (Junior High/High School/Post-Secondary)
- Canadian Points of View Reference Centre - Covers over 100 topics presenting an overview, a point, a counterpoint, and a Critical Thinking Guide for each topic. It is a tool designed to provide students with a series of essays that present multiple sides of a current issue. Topics covered include: environment, health, human rights, crime, race, technology, substance abuse, and many more. (Junior High/High School)
- Career Cruising - Career Cruising is an online career guidance and planning system. It provides a personal Portfolio tool with a built-in Resume Builder, an employment guide, job search tool, interest and skills assessments as well as information on careers and training. (High School/Post-Secondary)
- Novelist - Browse over 1,200 theme-oriented book lists, 160 award lists and 1,800 fiction related websites. NoveList contains materials for all ages including picture books, children's chapter books, young adult titles and books for adult readers. (Junior High/High School/Post-Secondary)
- Oxford English Dictionary - The most authoritative and comprehensive dictionary of English. (High School/Post-Secondary)
- World Book Online - More than 26,000 articles as well as more than 12,000 pictures and maps, and 7,000 links to editor-approved websites useful in helping students constructively explore topics further. (World Book Info Finder: Junior High. World Book Reference Centre: High School/Adults.)
General Homework Help
- Learning Centre - Great websites to help you with your homework.
- Alberta Education: Students - Includes homework help resources and diploma exam guides.
- ipl2 - An organized index of reliable and high quality websites.
- Project Gutenberg - Free eBook versions of books in the public domain. Includes books in many languages. A good place to find eBook versions of classics.
- LibriVox - Free audiobook versions of books in the public domain.
Research & Writing